Join the Team
We’re always looking for amazing, dependable pet sitters to join us as we continue growing Happier at Home. So take a look around, and see if this might be the right fit for you or someone you know!
Our hiring process is designed to be smart, thorough, and entirely open to communication from both parties. We really care about hiring the right people, so we’ve put a lot of thought into how we do things.
- First, complete this application. (We know it’s long, so we recommend settling in and taking your time.)
- Once you’ve finished with that, leave us a message at our Google Voice number: (832) 819-0297. You’ll have a few minutes to answer these three prompts in your own words:
a. Tell us a little about yourself
b. What attracted you to Happier at Home?
c. What do you feel you can bring to this position?
Once we receive both your application and voice message, we’ll review your submissions and contact you soon.
What’s a pet sitter?
As a pet sitter, it’s your responsibility to visit client homes and care for their pets when they can’t be there.
Communication is at the core of Happier at Home, so you’ll be in touch with clients and your manager via texts, phone calls, emails, and in-person meetings. Identifying problems and communicating new ideas are just as important as the active work you’ll be doing with the animals. You’ll be stepping into the shoes of a pet concierge, working alongside clients to improve the lives of their pets. In other words, we’re not just looking for just “dog people”—we’re looking for “people people!”
You’ll still be spending plenty of time connecting with animals, of course. This entails getting to know the pets along with providing lots of healthy exercise and mental stimulation. Don’t forget that this is no desk job! There will be a fair share of unpleasant cleanup messes in addition to belly rub sessions. Most important of all, we treat every animal with immense respect—they’re members of the family.
Respecting the client’s property is the third key duty for Happier at Home staff. You’re the eyes and ears of our clients while they’re away. You’ll bring in the mail, lock doors, set alarms, keep an eye out for suspicious vehicles, and anything else the house requires. Our clients literally give us the keys to their homes, which means this job comes with some serious responsibility and trust.
What are a pet sitter’s duties?
- Traveling to client homes and caring for their animals
- Keeping track of and following client instructions
- Reviewing your schedule and showing up on time
- Tending to the feeding, medication, potty breaks, and general well-being of pets
- Playing with, walking, and offering attention to pets
- Learning and using the best training methods for different types of dogs
- Communicating with clients about their pets through texts (with pictures) and phone calls
- Communicating with Happier at Home about clients and their pets through emails, texts, phone calls, and in-person interactions
- Collaborating with the team, in and out of meetings
- Locking doors, getting mail, and tending to everything else a client’s home requires
What are the skills and qualifications?
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving
- A love for animals
- Experience with animals
- Experience with technology (texting, Google Docs, etc.)
- Physical fitness
- Access to a smartphone
What are the hours and pay?
Happier at Home visits can be scheduled from 6:30am to 8:30pm, seven days a week (including holidays). These are usually split into morning, midday, and evening shifts.
Pet sitters can select which of these shifts they’d like to cover. We work to build a schedule that works around your life, so you can choose whether you want consistent daily visits, intermittent visits, weekend visits, and so on.
Pet sitters are paid $10 for a 15-minute visit, $12.50 for a 30 minute-visit, and $50 for an overnight visit.
Direct all questions to Stephen Kelly, our Operations Director. Feel free to contact him via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (832-367-1729) and he’ll get back to you as soon as possible. We hope to hear from you soon!